We recently asked Juana Pepa what she'll be having on International Tea Day with a nice cup of tea. When she said a classic Strawberry & Cream Tart, we knew we were on to a winner, but then in true Juana style, she added a twist to make it even more perfect... dulce de leche! Continue reading for the recipe to this mouth-watering masterpiece.
Juana's Top Tips
"This is my favourite tart. Besides being delicious, it's beautiful and super easy to make, as it uses the vanilla sponge cake, soaked in syrup and filled with dulce de leche, cream, and strawberries. You can omit the dulce de leche if you can't find it and substitute it with strawberry jam." Juana Pepa
Strawberry & Cream Tart Ingredients
- 6 eggs
- 1 dash of vanilla essence
- 180 g of sugar
- 180 g of sifted wheat flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 350 g dulce de leche
- 400 g heavy cream
- 100 g powdered sugar
- 300 g strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat with an electric mixer.
- Gradually add the sugar in a steady stream while continuing to beat the eggs.
- Beat the mixture until it reaches the ribbon stage, which means it has increased in volume, turned a pale colour, and has a thick texture that holds its shape. This should take approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the sifted flour little by little and mix with a whisk.
- Pour the batter into a 24 cm cake pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.
- Prepare the syrup by combining the sugar and water in a saucepan. When it starts to boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Next, prepare the whipped cream with cold heavy cream and powdered sugar. Beat in a bowl until it's firm, loses its shine, and reaches the perfect consistency. Be careful not to overbeat, or it will turn into butter.
- Once the vanilla sponge cake has cooled, cut it in half using a serrated knife. Moisten both halves with the syrup, using a spoon or a brush.
- Place the top half of the cake on a plate, and with a spatula, spread the dulce de leche over it.
- Layer sliced strawberries and whipped cream on top.
- Place the other half of the cake on top and finish with more whipped cream and strawberries.
- Serve on Blue Regal Peacock tableware.
Click the link to learn more about Juana Pepa and get another delicious recipe: Last-Minute Tiramisú. Enjoy!