If you have children in the family heading to university in the next few weeks, or struggle to know what to make on a busy evening, we've asked our friend Karen of Lavender & Lovage to create three easy microwave recipes, that are equally delicious, nutritious and expeditious.
Microwave Omelette in a Mug
A fabulously healthy and high protein light meal or breakfast dish, this microwave mug omelette is prepared and cooked in 10 minutes.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
Ingredients• 10g butter
• 1/2 shallot, peeled and finely diced
• 4 eggs, beaten
• 2 tablespoons red pepper, finely chopped
• 2 spring onions, trimmed and finely diced
• 50g grated mature cheddar cheese
• Chopped parsley
• Salt and pepper, to taste
Method1. Divide the butter and diced shallot between 2 microwaveable mugs and heat on high for 30 seconds until the butter has melted. Brush the melted butter around the full length of the mug.
2. Beat the eggs in a jug with the red pepper, spring onion, cheese and parsley.
3. Pour the egg mixture into the 2 x mugs and microwave for 2 minutes, stopping every 30 seconds to gently bring the uncooked egg up to the top of the mugs with a spoon and mix lightly.
4. Cook for a final 15 to 20 seconds until the eggs are cooked and are light and fluffy.
5. Remove the mugs from the microwave and allow to sit for 1 minute.
6. Gently run a knife around the edge of the omelettes and invert them onto a plate or eat them straight from the mugs.
Our new Osbourne Mugs in Blue Asiatic Pheasants and Pink Asiatic Pheasants patterns feature in the images for this recipe.
Microwave Spaghetti Bolognese
A fabulous energy efficient and easy recipe for a family midweek classic. Make this tasty spaghetti Bolognese in just over half an hour in your microwave.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 carrot
- 250g lean minced beef
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 50ml boiling water
- 2 x 15ml spoons tomato puree
- 1 x 5ml spoon dried oregano (optional)
- Black pepper (optional)
- 300g uncooked spaghetti
- 1 x 15ml spoon vegetable oil
- 80g grated cheddar cheese, to serve
1. Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic. Place in a bowl. Finely chop the carrot and add to the bowl.
2. Add the mince beef and mix together with a fork, breaking up the meat until it is well combined.
3. Cover the bowl with a microwaveable lid or clingfilm, prick clingfilm with a fork to allow steam to escape, and microwave on full power for 3 minutes, at 800W.
4. Remove the bowl. Stir to break up the mince again, cover and return to the microwave for another 3 minutes.
5. Add the tinned tomatoes to the bowl together with 50ml of boiling water, the tomato puree, oregano and black pepper. Mix well.
6. Cover again and cook in the microwave on full power for 7 minutes. Remove the bowl, stir well, cover and return to the microwave for another 10 minutes on full power, stirring halfway through.
7. Remove the bowl and leave to stand while you cook the spaghetti.
8. Boil the kettle for the spaghetti. Break the spaghetti into smaller strips, and put in the bowl. Add the oil and mix well to coat the spaghetti with oil. Pour over boiling water until just covered and stir well.
9. Put into the microwave and cook on full power for 4 minutes.
10. Remove the bowl and stir the spaghetti. Cover and return to the microwave and cook on full power for another 4 minutes.
11. Take the bowl out of the microwave and leave to stand for 2 minutes.
12. Reheat the Bolognese sauce on full power for 2 minutes or until bubbling hot. Drain the cooked spaghetti and serve with the Bolognese sauce and grated cheese.
Microwave Golden Syrup Mug Cakes
Make these delectable mug cakes in a fraction of the time it would take to steam a pudding! Serve with thick cream or custard for a quick and easy midweek family pudding.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook and cool time: 10 minutes
Ingredients• 75g self-raising flour
• 25g golden caster sugar
• 45g unsalted butter, melted
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 tablespoons golden syrup
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 4 tablespoons golden syrup
• Cream or custard to serve
1. Mix the flour and sugar together in a bowl.
2. Mix the melted butter with the vanilla, 2 tablespoons golden syrup and the beaten egg.
3. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Divide the 4 tablespoons of golden syrup between 2 x microwaveable mugs.
5. Then spoon the cake batter into the mugs, dividing it equally.
6. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
7. Remove from the microwave and leave the mug cakes for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. To turn out, gently run a knife around the cakes and invert them in to a bowl.
9. Serve with cream or custard. Or eat the cakes straight from the mug with a dollop of cream or custard on top.
Our Blue Arden Half Pint Mugs feature in the images for this recipe.
As always with anything microwaved, please allow a few minutes for the food to cool a little before eating.
We’d love to see images of your mug meals; tag us on social media so we can see how you get on. Enjoy!
Take advantage of 20% off best Burleighware when you spend £150+ until 3rd September 2023 using code SUMMER20. Why not gift students their own set of Burleigh to make them feel instantly at ease when they’re away? A little piece of home away from home.