Miss Foodwise’s Vegan Beetroot and Chocolate Cake
The food writer Miss Foodwise, has created a vegan beetroot and chocolate cake recipe perfect for enjoying with a cup of Earl Grey tea. Arranged on our statement Blue Calico pattern, this cake looks deliciously indulgent, whilst containing a healthy dose of beetroot.
220g Wholemeal spelt flour
40g Walnuts or pecans
2 Heaped tsp baking powder
4 Heaped tsp cocoa
100g Dark chocolate
360g Cooked red beetroot in cubes
50ml Olive oil
50ml Maple syrup
1 Cup of soy yoghurt
A pinch of seasalt.
1) Peel the beetroots and slice into 1cm cubes, cook them until soft and mashed
2) Preheat your oven to 160°
3) Place your dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another
4) Add the baking powder and soda last to give the best result
5) Melt the chocolate and add to the wet ingredients
6) Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together
7) Line a springform pan with baking paper and dust with some cacao
8) Pour the batter into the springform pan and place in the oven for 55 minutes
9) Take care when taking it out of the oven and let it cool in the tray.
Miss Foodwise recommends decorating with drizzled chocolate, and serving with yoghurt mixed with a teaspoon of beetroot juice.
See more of our classic Blue Calico design here.