If you want to enjoy the taste of Greece from home this summer, we’ve got a new delicious recipe for you to try. Thank you to the lovely people at The Vasilicos for sharing this delicious dish...
Santorini Fava is PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) and the fava beans are mainly eaten as a creamy purée, as seen in the photos. A traditional product of Santorini, Fava Beans are served in most tavernas. It also forms part of the menu at the The Vasilicos award-winning sister winery, Vassaltis Vineyards and pairs perfectly with their local wine, Assyrtiko.
Used as a starter or a side, Fava can be served cold with a garnish of fresh onion, parsley, and olive oil, or warm with red onion, paprika, and extra lemon. It pairs perfectly with octopus and smoked or salted fish.
Fava Ingredients• 200g of fava (yellow split peas)
• 1 litre of water
• 1 carrot
• 1 large onion
• 1 garlic clove
• 1 lemon
• 10 tbsp olive oil (approx.)
• 2 tbsp salt
• 1/2 tsp pepper
• 1/2 tsp sugar
• A couple of bay leaves
1. Put the fava beans in a bowl and pour boiling hot water over them. Stir with a wooden spoon and leave until the water turns dark.
2. Strain the fava and set aside.
3. Chop the carrot, onion and garlic into thin slices and put them in a pot.
4. Add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, pepper, sugar and bay leaves.
5. Sauté the vegetables at a high temperature for 2-3 minutes until they turn light. Take care they do not turn brown.
6. Add the fava to the pot, stir with a wooden spoon and pour the water.
7. Boil at a low temperature for 15 minutes, stirring constantly until all the water evaporates.
8. Remove from the heat and take out the bay leaves.
9. Put the fava in the blender. Add some lemon peel and the lemon juice, 4 tablespoons of olive oil and purée.
10. Serve as suggested above, on a Burleigh Blue Calico plate.
Yamas! Please do take photos and tag us on social media if you give this recipe a go, we’d love to see the final dish.
If you’re looking to add a splash of blue to your table this summer and are feeling inspired by The Vasilicos Caldera Heritage Suites, browse the full Blue Calico collection now.